Junior health minister Nadine Dorries diagnosed with coronavirus

• Junior UK health minister Nadine Dorries has been diagnosed with coronavirus, raising pressure to tighten access to parliament as authorities ramp up preparations in anticipation of “many thousands” of cases at the epidemic’s peak.

Ms Dorries, who has placed herself in self-isolation, has met hundreds of people in Westminster over the past week and attended a recent reception in Downing Street with Prime Minister Boris Johnson. Daily News

Officials have been seeking to identify the names of everyone with whom Ms Dorries has come into contact in recent days.

On Wednesday a Labour MP said she was self-isolating following a meeting with Ms Dorries. Rachel Maskell, Labour’s shadow employment minister, tweeted: “NHS111 have advised that I self-isolate as a result of a meeting I had with [Ms Dorries] last Thursday who has subsequently tested positive for coronavirus.

“Thankfully I am asymptomatic. It is so important that we all follow all public health advice.”

Matt Hancock, the health secretary, said: “Really sorry to hear Nadine has tested positive for coronavirus. She has done the right thing by self-isolating at home, and both NHS and PHE staff have been brilliant. We all wish her well as she recovers.”